Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day Seven: Back to Work


After a nice day off yesterday, it was time to return to the casa to work full throttle. As usual, I was the last out of bed, but before I knew it I was at the casa working hard with my group members. When splitting for groups, I chose to work in the kitchen with Megha. Before we could cook anything, we had to buy the food! Megha and I, along with one of the mothers, went down to the market to buy food for today´s lunch. The market was amazing! Everything was outdoors and there was just food everywhere. After getting what we needed, we lugged the food back to the casa. This was one of many points during this trip where I came to realize the efforts that these mothers have to put forth. As I was carrying a heavy bag of food back to the casa, I couldn´t help but think of the people in the states who can barely carry groceries to their cars. Upon returning to the casa, we got right to work and started to prep for the lunch. This consisted of picking basil leaves off their branches, taking stems off the fresh spinach, and grating three blocks of cheese! The lunch was spaghetti with pesto sauce. It was a bit salty, but overall it was not bad.

After lunch, I took a nap for about 10 minutes (it was a nice break). When I woke up, I was back to work with many of the other group members. We were finally adding color to the dining room that we had planned to paint! Everyone was hard at work, and we were all working together in order to keep up with the precise measurements, and touch ups. Before I knew it, it was time to go.


When we returned to our hostel, I realized that our spa appointment was in fifteen minutes. Yes, SPA APPOINTMENT! Well this was some treat! We all got awesome massages for a more than reasonable price. It was quite an experience. Upon returning to the hostel, I took a nice shower, and I still smell like the oil they used. I am ready to bond with my group members on a night out on the town of Cusco. More so, I am ready to give it all I’ve got at our last day at the casa tomorrow.

-Ronnie

No comments:

Post a Comment